Incredibly easy, healthy, and tasty one-pot Instant Pot meal that goes from freezer to table in less than an hour. This was one of those “wing it” recipes that worked out so beautifully that it will definitely make a repeat appearance very soon. This is also a great meal-prep solution for filling, low-fat workday lunches.
It’s so easy. I had some frozen boneless, skinless chicken thighs. It was late in the day, so I didn’t bother to thaw them. The meat turned out deliciously seasoned and perfectly tender. Marinade sauces are perfect for the Instant Pot, as pressure cooking accelerates the absorption of flavors throughout the meat. I used Goya Criollo Marinade, one of my favorites that I also use for fajitas, a bit of Adobo All-Purpose Seasoning, and a packet of Sazon for a nice flavor burst.
One Pot Chicken with Rice and Beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup Goya Criollo Mojo Marinade or other
- 1 lb fresh or frozen boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 to 1 tsp salt, to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp Adobo all-purpose seasoning
- 1 packet Sazon seasoning (with or without anatto (It doesn’t matter. Anatto is just for color)
- 2 cans black beans (drain if you wish to reduce sodium. I didn’t drain mine)
- 2 cups white rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- Cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Squeeze of lime juice (optional)
- Flour tortillas
- Press saute button on Instant Pot and heat olive oil in inner liner.
- Saute onions until nearly translucent but not browned.
- Add garlic, and saute gently just until fragrance is released.
- Deglaze inner liner with the Criollo marinade. Add chicken thighs, then place a tall trivet in the pot. Place rinsed rice and the two cups of water into a pressure-cooker-safe bowl or pan.
- Set Instant Pot for 10 minutes at high pressure. If chicken thighs are frozen, cook for 12 minutes high pressure. Allow 10 minutes natural release before releasing remaining pressure.
- Remove rice pan, and then carefully remove chicken and set aside. Add black beans to the pot, along with Adobo, Sazon seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Use the saute button at the low setting, stirring the beans until heated through.
- Cube chicken thighs, add back to pot, and stir.
- Serve over rice with a splash of lime, and garnish with cilantro, if desired, accompanied by warmed tortillas.