Jump to Recipe
This is a simple pot roast recipe requiring very little prep time. This tangy barbecue version is absolutely delicious served over mashed potatoes or rice. This fall-apart-delicious roast can also be served on a roll, topped with your favorite barbecue sauce.
Rub the meat with the finely chopped garlic. For extra garlicky flavor, use the sharp tip of a knife to push some of garlic into slits on both sides of the roast. Season your meat with salt and pepper. For even cooking, cut up the roast into 3 or four chunks. Heat oil in your Instant Pot to Sauté setting until display reads “Hot.” (I used a cast iron pan, below, since my insert was busy with another dish). Sear all sides of the chunks in hot oil until browned.
Remove meat from pot, and saute chopped onions. Add oil if needed. When onion is soft, add your beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, water, brown sugar, paprika, lemon juice, and vinegar. Use this mixture to completely deglaze your pot, to avoid any burning during pressure cooking. Simmer and stir until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
Add meat back into pot, and then turn pieces over so that they are completely coated in sauce.
Seal vent on pot, and cook at high pressure for one hour. Allow a full natural pressure release (about 15-20 minutes)
For mashed potatoes, remove roast from pan. Place 3-4 lbs quartered potatoes in a steamer basket or stainless steel pan on trivet. Before using, rinse the Instant Pot lid and ring in cold water. This allows the ring to shrink in order to achieve a tight seal again while the pot is still hot.
Set lid to Seal and cook at high pressure for 8 minutes. Allow a full natural pressure release before removing from pot. Mash with a potato masher, fork, or food ricer. Stir in about 1/2 cup of warm milk and 1/4 cup warm butter until creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Supplies for this recipe:
Instant Pot Barbecue Pot Roast
– 3 to 4 lbs beef chuck roast, cut into three or four chunks
– 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 1 to 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
– 1 medium chopped onion
– 1/2 cup beef broth, or 1/2 tsp Better than Bouillon dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water
– 4 oz can tomato paste
– 1/2 cup water
– 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
– 1/2 tsp dry mustard
– 1/4 tsp paprika
– 1/4 cup lemon juice
– 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Heat oil in Instant Pot on Sauté mode until display reads “Hot.”
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Quickly brown beef chunks on all sides, and remove from pot.
- Saute onion in pot, adding oil if needed. Deglaze pot with mixture of beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, water, brown sugar, paprika, lemon juice, and vinegar.
- Return meat to pot, and turn over pieces to coat both sides of meat.
- Cook at high pressure for 60 minutes. Allow full natural pressure release. Remove meat from pot, and serve with pan juices.