Jump to Recipe
Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don’t…
Yeah, I’m showing my age here. After my Sticky Toffee Pudding Bites turned out so delicious and wonderfully textured, I keep looking for new non-breakfast ways to use my egg bite pans, and this seemed like a natural. This recipe should fill two egg bite pans, which you can stack in your instant pot either on top of each other, or placing one pan on a low trivet (the one that came with your Instant Pot) and the other on a taller rack that you can find at https://amzn.to/2l735m9.
I highly recommend lightly toasting the almonds in a dry skillet before you add them. If you’d rather not, or if you don’t like almonds, just leave them out (remember, “sometimes you don’t!”) and the cakes will still be rich, chocolatey, and full of creamy coconut.
Look at the chocolate-y goodness in a batter that you could eat right out of the bowl:
I always get a little overeager when filling my pans, so they tend to puff a bit more than I like. You really want to leave about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of space to the top of each cup. But no matter, they’re still amazing.
This recipe is so easy, let’s just get right to it!
Almond Joy Cake Bites
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, heated until very lightly browned
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup toasted, slivered almonds (optional)
- Sifted powdered sugar, for topping
- In a small saucepan, heat the 2 tablespoons of butter just until very slightly browned. Stir in sweetened condensed milk, and keep stirring over low heat until the mixture begins to brown just a little more. Stir in coconut flakes, remove from heat, and set aside to cool completely.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cream the six tablespoons of butter in hand or stand mixer. Add sugar, and beat until smooth. Add egg and beat until smooth. Gradually add milk, and continue to beat until just combined. Stir in vanilla.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, beating just until smooth (don’t overmix) Combine flour, baking, powder, salt, butter, and sugar, and beat with stand or hand mixer until blended.
- Grease egg bite pans with cooking spray. Fill each cup about 1/3 full with batter. Add a rounded teaspoon of coconut mixture in the center of each cup, and sprinkle in a few toasted almonds. Top with batter, leaving about 1/4-1/2 inch space from the top.
- Place 1 cup of water in Instant Pot, and add trivet. Place egg bite pan on trivet.
- Set Instant Pot for 20 minutes at high pressure. Allow 10 minutes natural pressure release.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans. Allow to cool completely before topping with sifted powdered sugar. Other suggested toppings include chocolate Magic Shell, or chocolate syrup.